March 2014

March 2014

Friday, December 21, 2012

Bake ahead Christmas - Part III - a biscuit tree


What a merry time we had last weekend with friends making biscuits to produce a Christmas tree tower. Our husbands gallantly used their good right arms to do the mixing of a simple sweet dough recipe:

300g unsalted butter, softened
300g caster sugar
2 small eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
a pinch of salt
600g plain flour, sifted


and we used Lakeland 3d Christmas cookie cutters to make the shapes. When baked and cooled I covered the biscuit stars in rolled fondant icing, brushed all over some edible glitter and decorated the edges with silver balls. I actually thought it might turn out to look like the leaning tower of Pisa but, as you can see, it is fairly straight and ready for the festive table.




3 comments:

  1. Oooh that looks beautiful, I have the 3D kit too, I love the result. I usually pop a bit of ginger or nutmeg (or both) into the mix to make it a bit more Christmassy! I used a chocolate/hazelnut butter cream to stick together my last one and it did go all leaning tower of pisa. Will stick with fondant / apricot jam next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for response - my friends also chose a more spicy mix for their tree and I suppose any flavoured biscuit or shortbread recipe could be used.

      Delete
  2. Looks wonderful, Gill - well done everyone! x

    ReplyDelete