March 2014

March 2014

Friday, April 6, 2012

Not so Good Friday

This afternoon (Good Friday), and in the interests of research, of course, I thought it would be a nice idea to have a cuppa and a nice piece of cake somewhere locally. Hubby and I decided to go to the nearest garden centre. The display of bakes were very appetising and I chose a slice of Victoria sponge. It looked very resplendant, newly cut into and oozing cream and jam, plus heavily dusted with icing sugar. I was in for a treat. You have to understand that I am trying to eat healthily, whilst attempting to lose a few pounds, and so eating cakes is a real sacrifice and not one I take lightly!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I took my first mouthful of this heavenly looking sponge. The crumb was dry and light, the cream filling was thin and coated my mouth with hydrogenated fat, and the jam was hardly to be seen. Oh my goodness, it was obviously a factory-made bake using a packet mix! What a real disappointment. Obviously not something to break the diet for after all and I think I may just prefer my own home-made chocolate cake on Sunday. Well....maybe just a small slice will be ok. Happy Easter.

1 comment:

  1. Save some of that chocolate cake for me, Gill! Happy Easter to you both!
    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete